Okay so I am hanging out at Aaron's house at the "loves hangover" sale, to see what was up for grabs for my place as he purges himself from things that remind him of past loves.
He begins to tell me about his recent trip to Tallahasse to hang out with some of our friends that attend FSU. The story had me on the floor so I had to share.
So anyway,...they are ALL (aaron and our friends) in the car to paint the town, with cocktails, music and dancing.
Sam (the driver) is singing,..... "this girl, she really wants,.....to be in love with a man."
Sean is on the passenger side with a very annoyed look on his face, saying nothing.
'Unidentified Guy,' who has never heard this song before and is totally enjoying it, popping fingers and all.
Aaron(best friend) in the back, enjoying the song but is starting to get suspicious.
Unidentified Guy says, "oooo, I love this song! IT'S AWESOME!,...Who Is It?"
Sean, looking even more annoyed,...continues to say nothing.
Sam goes, "I don't know,....I haven't a clue,....... but I LOVE THIS SONG! and it IS AWESOME!"
Aaron, now slightly pissed says,....IT'S SHEILA FUCKING E. ! YOU NEVER HEARD OF 'GLAMOUROUS LIFE!?' I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS SONG! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Sean, still annoyed and saying nothing.
'Unidentified Guy' and Sam were like,..NO, BUT IT'S AWE-SUUM. WE LIKE THAT SONG. WE LOVE THAT SONG.
This prompts 'Unidentified Guy' to turn to Aaron and say, "Hey, how'd you know that song? How old are you anyway?"
Aaron says, 33.
Then there's silence. Everyone else, except Sean (who is unimpressed and still annoyed with everyone) drops their jaws in AWE and AMAZEMENT. Then all together, but not in unison, there was a slew of "OH WOWs," and "OMIGODS!" We know people in their 30's!
Imagine the look on Aarons face. So he could not wait to tell me (fellow thirty something) the story, which totally had me giggling my ass off. We began to reminisce about all that was 80's! We came up with this top 100. I used it to write my article for the Albany Journal. I just had to share.
THE TOP 100 SONGS & ARTISTS OF THE 80’S
It pained me to pick an artist worthy of the eighties kick off. So, I decided to start with the artist that sold more copies and the artist that acquired the most weeks on the Billboard Charts. These singles and artists aren’t in any particular order and you may juggle as you wish and give feedback…
1. Michael Jackson – Thriller (the album charted the longest and sold more copies)
2. Prince – When Doves Cry (the first Prince single/video released before Purple Rain
3. Madonna – Get Into the Groove
4. U2 – With or Without You / New Years Day (sometimes you gotta have two)
5. Van Halen - Panama
6. Whitney Houston –Greatest Love of All
7. Duran Duran –Planet Earth
8. The Police – Roxanne (to many hits to single out)
9. Hall & Oats – Say It Isn’t So
10. Huey Lewis & the News – I Want A New Drug
11. Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
12. Eurhythmics – Sweet Dreams
13. Culture Club – Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?
14. Tears for Fears – SHOUT
15. Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls
16. The Go-Go’s – Head Over Heals
17. WHAM – Careless Whisper
18. Frankie Goes To Hollywood – Relax
19. Billy Idol – Rebel Yell
20. David Bowie – Let’s Dance
21. Thompson Twins – Hold Me Now
22. Thomas Dolby – She Blinded Me With Science
23. Blondie – Call Me
24. Tina Turner – What’s Love Got To Do With It
25. INXS – I Need You Tonight
26. Run DMC – King Of Rock
27. Janet Jackson – Pleasure Principle
28. Pat Benetar – Love Is A Battlefield
29. The Cure – Fascination Street
30. ABC – The Look Of Love
31. Beastie Boys – Brass Monkey
32. John Cougar Mellencamp – Jack and Diane
33. Debbie Gibson – Only In My Dreams
34. Level 42 – Something About You
35. Salt N Pepa – Push It
36. The Tubes- She’s A Beauty
37. The Clash – Rock the Casbah
38. Queen – Another One Bites the Dust
39. Rick Springfield – Jesse’s Girl
40. Steve Winwood – Higher Love
41. Berlin – Metro
42. Robert Palmer – I Didn’t Mean To Turn You On
43. Sheila E. – Glamorous Life
44. Paul Young – Everytime You Go Away
45. Madness – Our House
46. The Fixx – One Thing Leads To Another
47. B-52’s – Give Back My Man
48. OMD – If You Leave
49. Poison – Talk Dirty To Me
50. Human League - Fascination
51. Tommy Tutone – Jenny (867-5309)
52. Toto – Rosanna
53. The Art of Noise – Beat Box
54. Dead or Alive – You Spin Me
55. Simple Minds – Don’t You (Forget About Me)
56. Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance
57. Stacey Q – Two of Hearts
58. J. Geils Band – Freeze Frame
59. The Romantics – Talking In Your Sleep
60. Samantha Fox – Naughty Girls (Need Love To)
61. Chaka Kahn – Ain’t Nobody (from the movie ‘Breakin’)
62. Eddie Grant – Electric Avenue
63. Heart – These Dreams
64. Soft Cell – Tainted Love
65. Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam – I Wonder If I Take You Home
66. Devo – Whip It
67. Missing Persons – Noticeable Ones
68. Motley Crue – Looks That Kill
69. Jody Watley – Looking For A New Love
70. Depeche Mode – People Are People
71. Simply Red – Holding Back The Years
72. Sade – Sweetest Tabu
73. Def Leppard – Photograph
74. Ratt – Round and Round
75. Paula Abdul – Knocked Out
76. Bangles – Hero Takes A Fall
77. Talking Heads – Burning Down The House
78. Cinderella – Nobody’s Fool
79. Doug E Fresh & the Get Fresh Crew – The Show
80. Vanity 6 – Nasty Girl
81. Modern English – Melt With You
82. The Motels – Only The Lonely
83. Phil Collins – In The Air Tonight
84. The Cars – Drive
85. Rod Stewart – Young Turks
86. Starship – Sara
87. Terrence Trent D’Arby – Wishing Well
88. Billy Joel – Tell Her About It
89. Lionel Richie – Running With The Night
90. Pebbles – Mercedes Boy
91. Bananarama – Cruel Summer
92. George Clinton – Atomic Dog
93. Chicago – Will You Still Love Me
94. Warrant – Cherry Pie
95. Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
96. Adam & the Ants – Goody Two Shoes
97. Til' Tuesday - Voices Carry
98. New Edition – A Little Bit Of Love
99. KLYMAXX – The Men All Pause
100. Anita Baker – Sweet Love